Features of WCF
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is a secure, reliable, and scalable messaging platform for the .NET Framework 3.0,
- Service Orientation
- Multiple Message Patterns
- Service Metadata
- Data Contracts
- Multiple Transports and Encodings
- Reliable and Queued Messages
- Durable Messages
- AJAX and REST Support
Advantages of WCF
- Service Oriented
- Location Independent
- Language Independent
- Platform Independent
- Support Multiple operation
- WCF can maintain transaction like COM+ Does
- It can maintain state
- It can control concurrency
- It can be hosted on IIS, WAS, Self hosting, Windows services.
- WCF can be configured to work independently of SOAP and use RSS instead.
- WCF is one of the fastest communication technologies and offers excellent performance compared to other Microsoft specifications.
- To improve communication, transmission speed needs to be optimized. This is done by transmitting binary-coded XML data instead of plain text to decrease latency.
- Object life-cycle management and distributed transaction management are applicable to any application developed using WCF.