Continuous integration is a process where a developer’s code changes are constantly integrated into the main code and the same will be tested automatically and the results of the tests will decide whether the change is ready for deployment. In this process -
- Developer Makes a change - commit/pull_request - in feature/dev branch
- Source Control Management system generates appropriate events
- SCM Specific Jenkins Plugins like Git/SVN will detect those events from the configured repositories and these events will be used to Trigger - build/dependent/test - jobs on Jenkins
- After the Test/Dependent jobs are completed, the change/patch will be labeled according to the status of the test job
- Based on the Status (i.e. readiness of a change to be merged with the main branch), the Continuous Delivery or Continuous Deployment strategy/tool will take it forward.